Thursday 26 November 2015

"Critically evaluate the work you have produced"


I think that the model I have created looks like the concept art it was based on, as it included all of the same details as the concept did and to help this, throughout the process of modelling I had a reference image of the concept art placed on a “plane” object behind my model. This helped me to make sure the sizing was fairly accurate and made it easier to refer back to the design. Using this reference I made sure I included all the details shown in the concept art and that it looked similar.

The model communicates the same themes as my concept art mainly because it follows the same design and colour scheme, which I think especially sets the theme for the model. The concept art had a rusty sort of colour scheme, making the design appear old and worn, even though the design itself it actually futuristic. I think my model shows that well as I textured it with a rusty worn effect, using bump mapping to make this effect more realistic.

The only thing I added to the design was the handle bar ends. This was because I thought the original design of the handle bars didn’t look practical, there was no where to actually hold onto to, it was more of just a single shaped bar. I just added a grip to the end of each bars so it was a little more practical.

If I could have done anything differently, I would’ve defined the shapes or even added more in so that it looked more realistic and defined. The way my model was made up of almost a single shape made it look sort of like a chunk of metal… If I’m honest! I would also have added more detail to model, making it look more realistic. Rather than just having the basic shapes I could have spent longer going in to depth of making everything appear realistic, like wise to my previous point.

The thing I found most difficult was making it look realistic and not too simple within my skill boundaries and time given. I personally struggle with maya more than other topics (as much as I love it!) there fore I needed reminders on certain techniques. I found it hard to make it look more sophisticated rather than a simple shape as this requires detail and defining the shape which I struggled to do, however if I had spent longer on this then I probably would have developed techniques on adding depth to the model. I found bump mapping was a great technique for adding depth as it makes the texture appear 3D.

No comments:

Post a Comment