Friday 20 November 2015

"Critically evaluate the work you have produced"


Before I began my concept art, I researched the information that was needed in order to start designing ideas. My research consisted of creating specific mood boards which acted as references to my vehicle, providing ideas to use as influence, as well as giving me a general better understanding on the vehicles it is based on and then to gather further information from the document creator.
I then began my concept art by sketching rough ideas of the shape of my vehicle. These ideas were based on an oval shape as the document suggested, even though they each had their individual characteristics.
After getting down a variety of designs for the main body, I moved on to sketching ideas for another key element (suggested by the document, also) of the vehicle design. This was a glass barrier at the top of the vehicle.
I then drew out two final ideas which were more detailed than the previous processes because they were to be used for my decision maker. I drew these designs at all angles to create a better understanding if it were to be modelled- how it would look. As well as a brief description of the designs, showing the thought going on behind them. I also coloured these designs using the colour pallet included in the document.
My final step was to pick a design out of the two and then take it through a more accurate process. I chose my first design which was the one based off of a Lamborghini Aventador with a dome shaped glass barrier. This was my favourite design because I liked the way it looked futuristic and smart, at the same time as looking rough and post apocalyptic. I think it carried off that combination well. I also thought the dome glass barrier merged into the oval shape of the body, keeping it streamlined so it is able to move fast and smoothly. The colours consisted of metallic’s, presenting the smart side to the vehicle, but I made these metallic colours appear slightly old and worn to keep to the post apocalyptic aesthetic. I also showed that the vehicle was to be created from replaceable scrap parts from other vehicles, by drawing the body to look as if scraps have been nailed together. This was a key feature the document stated.  I drew a turn-around of this design, which I kept each view to the same scale to help the modeller understand the sizing.
I scanned this into the computer which I then coloured in on Photoshop. During this process I changed the colours of the scrap pieces to bronze/brown and silver as I thought it was more realistic than just having all silver scraps. I also thought it would be a good idea to introduce more colours from the colour pallet rather than just the same few colours. I shaded my concept art to add some realism to the idea, which I also thought would help the modeller to understand it.

Overall, I think I included all the things I was meant to in order for the modeller to understand my progress and final design. I also included all the features the document asked for and followed the theme and colour pallet provided. I think If I could have added any thing, I would have done more research, such as primary research where I could have gone out and documented pictures of other cars for influence to my designs. I could have also created more designs to work from during the beginning process, which may have lead on to a wider range of ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment